Return to the newslog
Return to the Fullervision Archives
|Archived stories from
Tuesday, April 7, 2009 through Saturday, June 6, 2009
|6/3: Update on Guy Maybee, the
man who was convicted of killing his infant daughter Ianna last
March... he has been sentenced to 28 years. (Hat tip to Gary Nease of
5/15: NEW FEATURE: Now that I'm getting up early on a fairly regular basis every morning, I'm going to add my daily weather forecasts to the site (as you see above).
5/15: Chrysler closings update... Rock City Chrysler is SAFE, it will not be closing. Nearest closures are Signature Jeep in Jamestown (one-brand dealer, something the company is targeting in the closures), Marra Brothers in Olean, and Rink Brothers in Bradford. Rink Brothers is the oldest existing Chrysler dealer in the United States, and it plans to appeal. Marra Brothers will continue to operate without Chrysler branding, most likely as a used car outlet. Signature plans on switching to Nissan.
5/16 GM Closings update: There are no plans to close any GM dealers in Western New York. See update 5/26 in main newslog.
5/13: Traffic heads-up... the state Department of Transportation has closed off Route 353, 7 miles north of the village of Cattaraugus. This does not affect most transportation routes, as Broadway Road (3 miles north of Cattaraugus) is generally used as the shortcut into Gowanda and can still be accessed. So, in general, unless you're driving a semi-truck, disregard the detour. (That detour, by the way, extends the existing detour resulting from bridge problems in Salamanca. While we appreciate trying to keep Little Valley on the route, the detour now extends about 15 miles perpendicular to the regular road. There are more efficient ways of doing things, you know...)
5/2: RIP Andrea Morton... I was quite shocked to read this weekend that Andrea Morton, an accomplished 21-year-old from Salamanca, died this past week while at college in Ithaca. Apparently she got sick a few weeks ago and some time this past week was rushed to the hospital in Syracuse, but by the time they got there her brain was dead, so they pulled her off life support and salvaged several organs for transplant. As I heard it, a combination of pneumonia and mononucleosis is what killed her. I knew Andrea, not like "best buddies" well, but I know the name, probably from the All-Counties or the county fairs. It just is such a stunning thing, going from a whole load of potential and a great life ahead of her, to within a few days, being dead and gone with no clear reason. So, today, thank God that you're still alive, because something like that can happen to just about anyone. My condolences to the Morton family.
UPDATE 5/7: I've noticed that the Andrea Morton story is driving a lot of people to this site. I am very surprised at the lack of coverage her death has drawn from the local papers; they have published nothing other than her official obituary. Considering her accomplishments, the silence is deafening. I don't know all of the details, but I know some people that probably do know, so if you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Otherwise, stick around and enjoy the site. ~ Jerry
4/20: HEADS UP: The Village of Little Valley will begin collecting lawn waste today... nothing more than 4 feet long and no sticks more than 4 inches thick. No garbage. Place the lawn waste curbside and it will be collected each Monday from today through May 18.
***BREAKING 4/14: FOUR-ALARM FIRE IN LITTLE VALLEY *** YOU READ IT FIRST ON FV ***
Fire is in the apartment above the vacant office space at 128 Main St. (formerly the thrift shop and the Chronicle). Four departments were called in, Little Valley, Cattaraugus, Otto, and Ellicottville, as well as the sheriffs' department. The fire alarm went off about 9:40 this morning, and the entire block, from the bank to the Island Tan, was evacuated.
As of 10:45 a.m., smoke was still emanating from the back of the building. Eyewitness accounts state the fire began in the ceiling, which would likely indicate an electrical fire. The apartment was one of many owned by Tim Zimbardi. This is the second fire in a Zimbardi-owned apartment in less than a year. Zimbardi, by the way, is an electrician...
UPDATE: Apartment was that of Charles "Buck" Baynes. Only one apartment sustained serious damage, and the two businesses in the building (Island Tan and Tina's Place Hair Care) will re-open Friday morning.